If you thought being reincarnated as a slime or a spider was weird, wait until you hear about the latest isekai anime that will make you question your sanity. Reborn as a Vending Machine, I Now Wander the Dungeon is an upcoming anime adaptation of the light novel series by Hirukuma and illustrated by Itsuwa Katou.
The story follows a man who dies and is reborn as a vending machine in a fantasy world, where he uses his unique abilities to help adventurers and explore dungeons. Sounds ridiculous, right? Well, you’re not alone. Here’s everything we know so far about this bizarre anime that will either make you laugh or cringe.
Reborn as a Vending Machine Anime Release Date
The official Twitter account of the anime series Reborn as a Vending Machine, Now I Wander the Dungeon announced that it will be available on Japanese television from July 5, 2023.
The isekai series is produced under the direction of Noriaki Akitaya (“Slow Loop”) at the studios Gokumi and AXsiZ. Tatsuya Takahashi (The Faraway Paladin) is responsible for the series composition, while Takahiro Sakai (Seton Academy) creates the character design.
The opening theme is titled Fanfare and comes from the three-piece Japanese funk-rock band BRADIO, who already contributed the opening song to Death Parade, among other things. Crunchyroll is simulcasting the anime in its original language with English subtitles.
The original light novel of the same name was written by Hiru Kuma and was published in Japanese stores in three volumes between August 2016 and February 2017 with illustrations by Itsuwa Katou. The work is available in English through the US publisher Yen Press.
Reborn as a Vending Machine Anime News
The anime has been generating a lot of buzz online, with mixed reactions from fans and critics alike. Some people are intrigued by the absurd premise and the potential comedy, while others are baffled by the concept and the lack of logic. Some of the comments on social media include:
- “This is the peak of isekai. Nothing can top this.”
- “I can’t believe this is real. Who thought this was a good idea?”
- “This sounds hilarious. I’m definitely watching this.”
- “This is an insult to anime and vending machines.”
- “How does he even move? How does he talk? How does he fight? I have so many questions.”
Reborn as a Vending Machine Anime Characters and Cast
The anime will feature the following characters and cast members:
- Boxxo: The main protagonist who is reborn as a vending machine. He can dispense various items and drinks to adventurers, as well as use his coins as weapons. He is voiced by Jun Fukuyama, who has voiced Lelouch in Code Geass, Koro-sensei in Assassination Classroom, and Joker in Persona 5.
- Lammis: A female adventurer who finds Boxxo in a dungeon and becomes his companion. She is a swordswoman who likes to collect rare items and treasures. She is voiced by Kaede Hondo, who has voiced Maple in Bofuri and Hitomi in Hinamatsuri.
Reborn as a Vending Machine Anime Trailer
Reborn as a Vending Machine Visual
The anime has also released a key visual that shows Boxxo and Lammis in front of a dungeon entrance:
Reborn as a Vending Machine Plot
The plot of the anime is based on the light novel series that has 10 volumes published so far. The synopsis of the first volume is as follows:
He was just your average Japanese salaryman who died from overwork after being forced to work overtime for the fifth day in a row.
But when he woke up, he found himself in another world…as a vending machine!
Now he has to wander around this fantasy world, dispensing drinks and snacks to hungry adventurers, while avoiding monsters and bandits who want to loot him.
Along the way, he meets a beautiful swordswoman named Lammis, who becomes his loyal customer and friend.
Together, they explore the dungeons and discover the secrets of this strange world.
Will he ever find out why he was reborn as a vending machine? And will he ever return to his normal life?
Find out in Reborn as a Vending Machine, I Now Wander the Dungeon, the most outrageous isekai anime ever!