Are you a fan of the dark fantasy anime about Satan’s sons? Do you want to know when and where you can watch the third season of Blue Exorcist? If so, you’ve come to the right place. In this article, we’ll tell you everything we know so far about Blue Exorcist Season 3, from the release date to the plot to the cast. But first, let’s recap what happened in the previous seasons.
How Many Seasons Does Blue Exorcist Have?
Blue Exorcist is an anime series based on the manga by Kazue Kato. It follows the adventures of Rin Okumura and his twin brother Yukio, who are the sons of Satan. Rin inherited his father’s demonic powers, while Yukio became an exorcist to protect him. Together, they enroll in the True Cross Academy, a school for exorcists, and fight against the forces of evil.
The anime has two seasons so far. The first season aired in 2011 and had 25 episodes. It covered the first nine volumes of the manga, but deviated from the original story in the second half. The second season, called Blue Exorcist: Kyoto Saga, aired in 2017 and had 12 episodes. It adapted volumes 5 to 9 of the manga, ignoring the anime-original episodes of the first season. It focused on Rin and his friends’ mission to stop the Impure King, a powerful demon that threatened to destroy Kyoto.
What is the Ending of Blue Exorcist?
The second season of Blue Exorcist ended with Rin and his friends successfully defeating the Impure King and saving Kyoto. Rin also managed to control his blue flames, which are a sign of his demonic heritage. He reconciled with his brother Yukio, who was struggling with his own doubts and fears. The season ended with a hint that a new enemy was lurking in the shadows: an organization called the Illuminati, led by Lucifer, another son of Satan.
Will There Be a Blue Exorcist Season 3?
The good news is that Blue Exorcist Season 3 has been officially confirmed by the creators at Jump Festa 2023. The bad news is that we don’t know much else about it. The announcement did not reveal any details about the release date, the plot, or the studio behind it. It only said that a new “animation project” was in development.
However, based on some clues and speculations, we can assume that Blue Exorcist Season 3 will most likely be a continuation of the manga story, rather than a reboot or a spin-off. There is still plenty of material to adapt from the manga, which is still ongoing and has over 130 chapters as of now. The most probable arc to be adapted next is the Illuminati arc, which introduces Lucifer and his plans to resurrect Satan.
As for when we can expect Blue Exorcist Season 3 to come out, there is no official word yet. But considering that it took six years for the second season to be released after the first one, we might have to wait for another long gap before we see Rin and his friends again. A possible release date could be sometime in late 2023 or early 2024.
Is Blue Exorcist Coming Back in 2023?
The short answer is: maybe. The long answer is: it depends on several factors.
- The first factor is the source material. The manga series by Kazue Kato is still ongoing, with 28 volumes published as of November 2022. The anime series has adapted the first 17 volumes, covering the Kyoto Saga arc. That means there are still 11 volumes left to be animated, which could be enough for another season or two.
- The second factor is popularity and demand. Blue Exorcist is one of the best-selling manga series, with over 25 million copies in circulation as of December 2022. The anime series has also been well-received by fans and critics alike, with positive reviews and high ratings. The first season aired from April to October 2011, followed by a movie in December 2012. The second season aired from January to March 2017, after a six-year hiatus. The gap between the seasons was due to the first season deviating from the manga storyline after episode 17, creating an original ending that was not well received by some fans. The second season ignored the original ending and followed the manga more faithfully. However, this also meant that some viewers who had not read the manga were confused by the continuity.
- The third factor is production and distribution. The anime series is produced by A-1 Pictures, a studio that is known for working on multiple projects at once. Some of their recent works include Sword Art Online, Fairy Tail, Kaguya-sama: Love is War, and The Promised Neverland. The studio has not announced any plans for a third season of Blue Exorcist yet, but that does not mean they have abandoned the project. It could be that they are waiting for more manga chapters to be released, or they are busy with other priorities. The anime series is licensed by Aniplex of America for North America, and by Madman Entertainment for Australia and New Zealand. The series is also available on streaming platforms such as Netflix, Hulu, Crunchyroll, and Funimation.
Blue Exorcist Season 3 Release Date: Speculation!
Given the factors mentioned above, it is hard to predict an exact release date for Blue Exorcist Season 3. However, based on some speculation and assumptions, we can make an educated guess. Assuming that A-1 Pictures decides to produce a third season of Blue Exorcist, and that they have enough manga material to work with, we can estimate that it would take them at least a year or two to complete the production process. That means that the earliest possible release date for Blue Exorcist Season 3 would be sometime in late 2023 or early 2024. Of course, this is just a hypothetical scenario, and there could be delays or changes along the way.
Blue Exorcist Season 3 Visual
What is the plot of Blue Exorcist season 3?
If there is a third season of Blue Exorcist, it would most likely follow the manga storyline from volume 18 onwards. This would cover the Illuminati arc and the Exorcist Exam arc, which are two of the most important and exciting arcs in the series. The Illuminati arc focuses on Rin and his friends’ confrontation with an organization of demons and traitors who are trying to resurrect Satan and bring about the end of the world. The Exorcist Exam arc focuses on Rin and his friends’ preparation for the Meister exam, which will determine their future as exorcists.
In these arcs, we can expect to see more character development and growth for Rin and his brother Yukio, who are both struggling with their demonic heritage and their relationship with each other. We can also expect to see more action and drama as they face new enemies and challenges that will test their loyalty and faith. Moreover, we can expect to see more revelations and secrets about the history and nature of demons, exorcists, and Satan himself.
Blue Exorcist Characters, Cast, Staff and Studio
If there is a third season of Blue Exorcist, it would likely feature the same cast members as the previous seasons.
I. Characters & Cast
|Rin Okumura||Nobuhiko Okamoto|
|Yukio Okumura||Jun Fukuyama|
|Shura Kirigakure||Rina Satou|
|Mephisto Pheles||Hiroshi Kamiya|
II. Production Team & Studio
|Director||Okamura Tensai, Kouichi Hatsumi|
|Series Composition, Script||Yamaguchi Ryota, Toshiya Oono|
|Character Design||Keigo Sasaki|
Where can to Watch Blue Exorcist?
Blue Exorcist Season 3 Trailer: Is there a teaser?
There is no official trailer for Blue Exorcist Season 3 yet, but there is a teaser video that was released during Jump Festa 2023, an anime event that took place in December 2022. The teaser video shows some scenes from the previous seasons and ends with a logo that says “Blue Exorcist Animation Project”. You can watch the teaser video here:
Blue Exorcist Action
Humans and demons are two sides of the same coin, as are Assiah and Gehenna, their respective worlds. The only way to travel between the realms is by means of possession, like in ghost stories. However, Satan, the ruler of Gehenna, cannot find a suitable host to possess and therefore, remains imprisoned in his world. In a desperate attempt to conquer Assiah, he sends his son instead, intending for him to eventually grow into a vessel capable of possession by the demon king.
Ao no Exorcist follows Rin Okumura who appears to be an ordinary, somewhat troublesome teenager—that is until one day he is ambushed by demons. His world turns upside down when he discovers that he is in fact the very son of Satan and that his demon father wishes for him to return so they can conquer Assiah together. Not wanting to join the king of Gehenna, Rin decides to begin training to become an exorcist so that he can fight to defend Assiah alongside his brother Yukio.
Similar Shows Like Blue Exorcist
If you’re looking for some similar shows like Blue Exorcist, here are some recommendations:
- Soul Eater: A dark comedy anime about students who attend a school for weapon meisters and their partners who can transform into weapons. They fight against evil souls and witches to protect the world.
- D.Gray-man: A dark fantasy anime about exorcists who use special weapons called Innocence to fight against akuma, demonic creatures created by an evil entity called the Millennium Earl.
- Noragami: A supernatural comedy anime about a minor god named Yato who wants to become more popular and his adventures with his human friends and his regalia, spirits who can turn into weapons.
- Seraph of the End: A dark fantasy anime about a world where a virus has wiped out most of humanity and vampires have taken over. A group of human rebels fight against the vampires using cursed weapons called demon blades.