Space Force is a comedy series on Netflix that stars Steve Carell as General Mark Naird, the leader of a newly formed branch of the US military dedicated to space exploration and defense. The show is created by Carell and Greg Daniels, who previously worked together on The Office. Space Force also features John Malkovich, Ben Schwartz, Tawny Newsome, Diana Silvers, Jimmy O. Yang, and Don Lake in supporting roles.
The first season of Space Force premiered on Netflix in May 2020 and received mixed reviews from critics and audiences. The second season was released in February 2022 and improved on the first season’s ratings and reception. However, in April 2022, Netflix announced that Space Force was canceled and would not return for a third season.
Here is everything we know about Space Force season 3, including why it was canceled, what the potential plot could have been, who would have been in the cast, and what other shows are similar to Space Force.
Space Force Season 3 Potential Plot: What’s next?
The second season of Space Force ended on a cliffhanger, with General Naird and his team discovering that China had launched a nuclear missile at their lunar base. The team had to decide whether to retaliate or try to stop the missile. Meanwhile, Naird’s daughter Erin (Diana Silvers) was kidnapped by a cult leader who claimed to be an alien prophet. Naird’s rival General Kick Grabaston (Noah Emmerich) was also plotting to take over Space Force and sabotage Naird’s efforts.
If Space Force had been renewed for a third season, we would have likely seen how Naird and his team dealt with the crisis on the moon and whether they could prevent a nuclear war. We would also have seen how Erin escaped from the cult and reunited with her father. Additionally, we would have seen how Naird’s relationship with Dr. Adrian Mallory (John Malkovich), his chief scientist and friend, evolved after they shared a kiss in the season finale.
Space Force Season 3 Cast: Who’s in it?
If Space Force had been renewed for a third season, we would have expected most of the main cast to return, including:
- Steve Carell as General Mark Naird
- John Malkovich as Dr. Adrian Mallory
- Ben Schwartz as F. Tony Scarapiducci
- Tawny Newsome as Captain Angela Ali
- Diana Silvers as Erin Naird
- Jimmy O. Yang as Dr. Kaifang
- Don Lake as Brad Gregory
Some of the recurring cast members who could have also returned are:
- Lisa Kudrow as Maggie Naird
- Noah Emmerich as General Kick Grabaston
- Jane Lynch as Chief of Naval Operations
- Patrick Warburton as General Dabney Stramm
- Fred Willard as Fred Naird
- Patton Oswalt as Captain Lancaster
Will there be Space Force Season 3?
Unfortunately, there will not be a third season of Space Force. Netflix canceled the show after two seasons in April 2022, despite the positive response to the second season. According to Deadline, Netflix’s head of comedy Tracey Pakosta said that the decision was based on several factors, including viewership numbers, budget constraints, and creative direction.
Space Force was one of Netflix’s most expensive comedy projects, with a reported budget of $10 million per episode for the first season. The show also moved its production from Los Angeles to Vancouver for the second season to save costs. However, these measures were not enough to justify a third season for Netflix.
Space Force Season 3 Release Date: Speculation!
If Space Force had been renewed for a third season, we could have expected it to premiere sometime in 2024 or 2025, depending on the production schedule and the pandemic situation. The first season was released in May 2020, while the second season was released in February 2022, after a delay caused by the COVID-19 outbreak.
Similar Shows Like Space Force
If you are looking for similar shows like Space Force, here are some suggestions:
- The Office: The classic mockumentary series that follows the everyday lives of the employees of a paper company in Scranton, Pennsylvania. Steve Carell stars as Michael Scott, the clueless and hilarious boss who often makes things worse for his staff.
- Parks and Recreation: Another mockumentary series that follows the adventures of Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler), an optimistic and ambitious government employee who works at the parks department of Pawnee, Indiana. The show features a stellar ensemble cast that includes Nick Offerman, Aziz Ansari, Chris Pratt, Aubrey Plaza, Rashida Jones, Adam Scott, Rob Lowe, and more.
- Veep: A political satire series that follows the career of Selina Meyer (Julia Louis-Dreyfus), a former vice president and president of the United States, and her dysfunctional staff. The show is known for its sharp and witty dialogue, as well as its hilarious depiction of the absurdities of American politics.
- The Good Place: A fantasy comedy series that follows Eleanor Shellstrop (Kristen Bell), a deceased woman who wakes up in the afterlife and discovers that she has been mistakenly sent to the Good Place, a utopian paradise for the virtuous. She tries to hide her true identity and become a better person with the help of her soulmate Chidi (William Jackson Harper), her friends Tahani (Jameela Jamil) and Jason (Manny Jacinto), and the Good Place’s architect Michael (Ted Danson).
- Brooklyn Nine-Nine: A police comedy series that follows the exploits of the detectives of the 99th precinct in Brooklyn, New York. The show features Andy Samberg as Jake Peralta, a talented but immature cop who often clashes with his strict and stoic captain Raymond Holt (Andre Braugher). The show also stars Terry Crews, Melissa Fumero, Stephanie Beatriz, Joe Lo Truglio, Chelsea Peretti, and more.