Mr Mercedes is a crime thriller series based on the novels by Stephen King, starring Brendan Gleeson as Bill Hodges, a retired detective who is haunted by a serial killer. The show aired for three seasons on AT&T Audience Network, but was left in limbo when the network ceased operations in 2020. However, Peacock, the streaming service from NBCUniversal, has picked up the first two seasons of the show and will stream them from October 15, 2020. The third season will arrive at a later date. But what about the fourth season? Here is everything we know so far about Mr Mercedes Season 4.
Mr Mercedes Season 4 Potential Plot: What’s next?
The first season of Mr Mercedes followed the plot of the first novel in King’s trilogy, which focused on Hodges’ pursuit of Brady Hartsfield (Harry Treadaway), the titular killer who drove a stolen Mercedes into a crowd of people. The second season adapted the third novel, End of Watch, which saw Hartsfield develop psychic abilities and try to manipulate people into committing suicide. The third season was based on the second novel, Finders Keepers, which introduced a new villain, Morris Bellamy (Gabriel Ebert), a fanatical reader who killed a famous author and stole his unpublished manuscripts.
The fourth season, if it happens, could either continue the story of Hodges and his associates, Holly Gibney (Justine Lupe) and Jerome Robinson (Jharrel Jerome), or explore new characters and cases in the same universe. King has written a spin-off novel, The Outsider, which features Holly Gibney as one of the main protagonists. The novel was adapted into a TV series by HBO in 2020, starring Cynthia Erivo as Holly. However, the show was not connected to Mr Mercedes and had a different tone and style.
Alternatively, the fourth season could create an original story that is not based on any of King’s books, but still maintains the spirit and themes of the series. The showrunner of Mr Mercedes, David E. Kelley, has expressed interest in continuing the show beyond the source material. In an interview with Deadline in 2019, he said: “We would love to continue this franchise for as long as Stephen King continues to write these stories and as long as AT&T will have us.”
Mr Mercedes Season 4 Cast: Who’s in it?
If there is a fourth season of Mr Mercedes, Brendan Gleeson is likely to return as Bill Hodges, the main character of the series. Gleeson has received critical acclaim for his performance as the gruff but compassionate detective, earning two Emmy nominations for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Limited Series or Movie.
Other possible returning cast members include:
- Justine Lupe as Holly Gibney, Hodges’ partner and friend who suffers from OCD and has a knack for solving mysteries.
- Jharrel Jerome as Jerome Robinson, Hodges’ former neighbor and assistant who is now studying at Harvard.
- Breeda Wool as Lou Linklatter, Hartsfield’s former coworker who stabbed him in self-defense and was sent to prison.
- Holland Taylor as Ida Silver, Hodges’ neighbor and love interest who is a retired librarian.
- Nancy Travis as Donna Hodges, Hodges’ ex-wife who still cares for him despite their divorce.
- Maximiliano Hernández as Antonio Montez, an FBI agent who assists Hodges in his investigations.
The fourth season could also introduce new cast members depending on the plot and the characters involved.
Will there be Mr Mercedes Season 4?
At the moment, there is no official confirmation that there will be a fourth season of Mr Mercedes. The show’s future depends on several factors, such as:
- The availability and interest of the cast and crew, especially Brendan Gleeson and David E. Kelley.
- The ratings and reception of the first two seasons on Peacock, which could determine if the streaming service is willing to invest in more episodes.
- The approval and involvement of Stephen King, who has been supportive of the show and has even made a cameo appearance in the third season.
- The creative direction and vision of the showrunners, who may or may not have ideas for new stories beyond the original novels.
As of now, there is no official announcement or date for Mr Mercedes Season 4.
Mr Mercedes Season 4 Release Date: Speculation!
Since there is no official renewal or cancellation of Mr Mercedes Season 4, it is hard to predict when it could come out. However, based on the previous seasons’ release dates, we can make some educated guesses.
The first season of Mr Mercedes premiered on August 9, 2017 and ended on October 11, 2017. The second season premiered on August 22, 2018 and ended on October 24, 2018. The third season premiered on September 10, 2019 and ended on November 12, 2019.
Assuming that the show is renewed for a fourth season and follows a similar production schedule, we could expect Mr Mercedes Season 4 to premiere sometime in late 2024 or early 2025. However, this is only speculation and may change depending on the pandemic situation, the availability of the cast and crew, and other factors.
Similar Shows Like Mr Mercedes
If you are a fan of Mr Mercedes and are looking for similar shows to watch while waiting for the fourth season, here are some recommendations:
- The Outsider: As mentioned earlier, this is a TV adaptation of Stephen King’s novel that features Holly Gibney as one of the main characters. The show follows a police investigation into a gruesome murder that leads to a supernatural mystery. The show stars Ben Mendelsohn, Cynthia Erivo, Bill Camp, and Jason Bateman.
- Mindhunter: This is a Netflix series that explores the origins of criminal profiling and behavioral analysis in the FBI. The show follows two agents who interview serial killers to understand their motives and psychology. The show stars Jonathan Groff, Holt McCallany, Anna Torv, and Cameron Britton.
- True Detective: This is an HBO anthology series that focuses on different cases and characters in each season. The show explores the dark and complex aspects of human nature and crime. The show stars Matthew McConaughey, Woody Harrelson, Colin Farrell, Rachel McAdams, Mahershala Ali, and Carmen Ejogo.