Cursed is a Netflix fantasy series that reimagines the legend of King Arthur from the perspective of Nimue, the Lady of the Lake. The show is based on the book by Frank Miller and Tom Wheeler, and stars Katherine Langford as Nimue, Devon Terrell as Arthur, and Gustaf Skarsgård as Merlin. The first season of Cursed premiered on Netflix in July 2020, but was canceled a year later, leaving fans wondering what would have happened next. Here’s everything we know so far about Cursed Season 2.
Cursed Season 2 Potential Plot: What’s Next?
The first season of Cursed ended on a cliffhanger, with Nimue falling into the lake after being shot by arrows, and Arthur witnessing her apparent death. Meanwhile, Merlin reclaimed his magic and Excalibur, and vowed to avenge Nimue. The Weeping Monk was revealed to be Lancelot, and joined forces with Squirrel, who is actually Percival. Morgana became the new wielder of the Sword of Power, after being possessed by the Widow. And Iris joined the Red Paladins, who are still hunting down the Fey.
The second season of Cursed would have likely explored the aftermath of these events, and how they affect the characters’ destinies. Nimue would have probably survived her fall, and returned as the Lady of the Lake, a powerful and mysterious figure in Arthurian lore. Arthur would have continued his journey to become the king of Camelot, and faced new challenges and enemies along the way. Merlin would have tried to protect Nimue and Arthur, and mentor them in using magic. Lancelot and Percival would have become part of Arthur’s knights, and possibly developed a romance with Nimue and Morgana, respectively. Morgana would have struggled with her dark side, and her role as the Fey Queen. And Iris would have become a formidable antagonist, leading the Red Paladins against the Fey.
Cursed Season 2 Cast: Who’s In It?
If Cursed Season 2 had been renewed, most of the main cast members would have likely returned to reprise their roles, including:
- Katherine Langford as Nimue
- Devon Terrell as Arthur
- Gustaf Skarsgård as Merlin
- Daniel Sharman as Lancelot/The Weeping Monk
- Billy Jenkins as Percival/Squirrel
- Shalom Brune-Franklin as Morgana/Igraine
- Emily Coates as Iris
- Lily Newmark as Pym
- Sebastian Armesto as Uther Pendragon
- Matt Stokoe as Gawain/The Green Knight
Some new cast members might have also joined the show, depending on the plot developments and new characters introduced in Cursed Season 2.
Will There Be Cursed Season 2?
Unfortunately, there will not be a second season of Cursed. Netflix canceled the show in July 2021, after one year of silence regarding its renewal status. The reason for the cancelation was most likely due to low viewership numbers and mixed reviews from critics and audiences. Netflix usually bases its renewal decisions on how many people watch a show in its first four weeks, and how much it costs to produce it. Cursed only spent a few weeks on Netflix’s top 10 charts, and was a relatively expensive show to make, given its fantasy genre and production values. Therefore, Netflix decided to pull the plug on Cursed Season 2, and focus on other projects instead.
Cursed Season 2 Release Date: Speculation!
Even though Cursed Season 2 is not happening, fans can still speculate about when it would have been released if it had been renewed. The first season of Cursed was filmed between March and September 2019, and released in July 2020. Assuming a similar production schedule for Cursed Season 2, it might have been filmed between late 2020 and early 2021, if not for the COVID-19 pandemic that delayed many shows and movies. Therefore, a possible release date for Cursed Season 2 could have been sometime in late 2024 or early 2025.
Similar Shows Like Cursed
Fans of Cursed who are looking for similar shows to watch can check out these titles:
- The Witcher: Another Netflix fantasy series based on books and video games, starring Henry Cavill as Geralt of Rivia, a monster hunter who navigates a world of magic and politics.
- Shadow and Bone: A Netflix adaptation of Leigh Bardugo’s Grishaverse novels, following Alina Starkov, a young soldier who discovers she has a rare power that could change the fate of her war-torn world.
- Merlin: A BBC series that retells the legend of King Arthur from the perspective of a young Merlin, who must hide his magic and protect Arthur from enemies and prophecies.
- The Shannara Chronicles: A MTV and Spike series based on Terry Brooks’ fantasy novels, set in a post-apocalyptic world where humans, elves, and other races coexist and face an ancient evil.
- Game of Thrones: A HBO phenomenon based on George R.R. Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire books, depicting the epic struggle for the Iron Throne among various factions in the fictional continent of Westeros.