Grantchester is a popular British crime drama series that follows the adventures of a clergyman and a detective in the 1950s and 1960s. The show is based on the novels by James Runcie and has been airing on ITV and PBS since 2014. The eighth season of Grantchester concluded in August 2023, leaving fans eager for more. Here is everything we know so far about Grantchester Season 9.
Grantchester Season 9 Potential Plot: What’s next?
The eighth season of Grantchester ended with some major changes for the main characters. Will Davenport (Tom Brittney) decided to leave his role as the vicar of Grantchester and pursue a new opportunity in London. Geordie Keating (Robson Green) faced some challenges in his marriage with Cathy (Kacey Ainsworth) and his friendship with Will. Leonard Finch (Al Weaver) struggled with his sexuality and his relationship with Daniel Marlowe (Oliver Dimsdale). Mrs. Chapman (Tessa Peake-Jones) and Jack Chapman (Nick Brimble) enjoyed their retirement and their role as grandparents to Geordie’s children.
The ninth season of Grantchester will introduce a new vicar, Alphy Kotteram, played by Rishi Nair. Alphy is described as charismatic, witty, and a challenge for Geordie. According to the official synopsis, “It’s 1961 and life is good for Will and Geordie. The families are always together, from Sunday lunches to planning summer holidays and with honorary grandparents Mrs. C and Jack, and adopted uncles Daniel and Leonard, it’s one big happy family! But when Will is approached with a life changing offer, can he leave Grantchester, and Geordie behind?”
Grantchester Season 9 Cast: Who’s in it?
The ninth season of Grantchester will see the departure of Tom Brittney as Will Davenport, who has played the lead role since 2019. Brittney said, “I’ve had the most incredible time playing Will Davenport for the last five years. I got to solve crimes with my best friend, and work with the best cast and crew I could ever ask for. I’ll miss it more than anything. But it’s time for the baton to be passed, as it once was to me, and I’m so excited for Rishi to join the Grantchester family.”
Rishi Nair will join the cast as Alphy Kotteram, the new vicar of Grantchester. Nair said, “I’m absolutely thrilled to be joining Grantchester. The welcome and support I’ve received from everyone has been overwhelming. The success of the show and the reason we are here for a ninth season is a testament to all the people that have previously worked on it. I’m really excited to get started and cannot wait for the Grantchester fans to meet Alphy and to see all that’s in store for him.”
Robson Green will return as Geordie Keating, the detective inspector who works with the vicars to solve crimes. Green said, “I feel so blessed to be embarking once again on this thrilling journey with the beloved series, Grantchester. The anticipation is palpable however, amid the exhilaration, a tinge of sadness lingers for all of us as we are bidding farewell to my close friend and remarkable actor Tom Brittney, whose portrayal of the charismatic Will Davenport will be sorely missed. Yet, we are all delighted in welcoming the incredibly talented Rishi Nair to the Grantchester family! With his exceptional skills and magnetic presence, I have no doubt that Rishi will be captivating the hearts of millions not only in the UK but also across the globe.”
Other returning cast members include:
- Tessa Peake-Jones as Mrs. Chapman
- Nick Brimble as Jack Chapman
- Kacey Ainsworth as Cathy Keating
- Oliver Dimsdale as Daniel Marlowe
- Al Weaver as Leonard Finch
- Lauren Carse as Ellie Harding
- Skye Lucia Degruttola as Esme Keating
Will there be Grantchester Season 9?
Yes, there will be a ninth season of Grantchester. The show was renewed for two more seasons in October 2022 by ITV and PBS Masterpiece. The show’s executive producer Emma Kingsman-Lloyd said, “We are very excited that ITV have asked us to make two more series of Grantchester. It’s fantastic that our loyal audience have allowed us to keep making the show we love and to keep telling the stories of these characters that mean so much to us. We’re looking forward to working with our brilliant cast and crew once again and to welcoming some new faces to Grantchester.”
Grantchester Season 9 Release Date: Speculation!
There is no official release date for Grantchester Season 9 yet, but we can make some educated guesses based on the previous seasons. The show usually airs in the UK first, followed by the US a few months later. The show also tends to follow a yearly cycle, with a new season premiering every summer. However, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the eighth season was delayed by a year and aired in July 2023.
Given that Grantchester Season 9 began filming in July 2023, it is plausible to expect that it will air in mid-2024, following the same pattern as the previous seasons. However, this is subject to change depending on the production schedule and any potential delays.
Similar Shows Like Grantchester
If you are looking for some similar shows like Grantchester, here are some suggestions:
- Endeavour: A prequel to the classic detective series Inspector Morse, Endeavour follows the early career of Endeavour Morse (Shaun Evans) as he solves crimes in Oxford in the 1960s and 1970s.
- Father Brown: Based on the stories by G.K. Chesterton, Father Brown is a Catholic priest (Mark Williams) who uses his intuition and keen observation to solve mysteries in his Cotswold village in the 1950s.
- Unforgotten: A contemporary crime drama that follows two detectives (Nicola Walker and Sanjeev Bhaskar) who investigate cold cases involving historical murders and disappearances.
- Vera: Adapted from the novels by Ann Cleeves, Vera is a gritty crime drama that stars Brenda Blethyn as Vera Stanhope, a sharp-witted and unconventional detective who solves murders in Northumberland.
- Death in Paradise: A light-hearted and humorous crime series that revolves around a British detective (played by various actors over the seasons) who is transferred to the fictional Caribbean island of Saint Marie and has to adapt to the local culture and climate while solving murders.