Euphoria, the HBO drama series that follows a group of troubled teens as they navigate love, identity, addiction, and trauma, you’re probably eagerly awaiting the third season. The show, created by Sam Levinson and starring Zendaya as Rue, a recovering drug addict, has been praised for its raw and realistic portrayal of adolescence and its stunning cinematography, soundtrack, and performances. But when will Euphoria season 3 premiere? Who will be in the cast? What will happen to Rue, Jules, Nate, and the rest of the characters? Here’s everything we know so far about Euphoria season 3.
Euphoria Season 3 Release date
Fans of Euphoria were thrilled when the show got renewed for a third season even before the second one finished airing. They could enjoy the show’s emotional rollercoaster without worrying about its fate.
Francesca Orsi, executive vice president of HBO programming, praised the show’s creative team in an official statement: “Sam, Zendaya and the entire cast and crew of Euphoria have taken season two to extraordinary heights, challenging narrative convention and form, while maintaining its heart.
“We are delighted to work with this gifted, wildly talented team, and we can’t wait to continue our journey with them into season three.”
However, HBO’s chief content officer Casey Bloys hinted that the show might not last much longer, due to its young cast. “I don’t think you want 30-year-olds playing [teenagers],” he said (via TVLine).
He also said that Zendaya’s rising career might affect her availability for future seasons, but he left that decision to her and executive producer Sam Levinson.
He expressed his excitement for the third season, but he also said that he trusts the creative team to decide when and how to end the show.
We hope that this is not the last we see of Euphoria, because we need more memes of Sydney Sweeney giving us amazing performances.
Euphoria Season 3 Cast
We can expect most of the main cast members to return for Euphoria season 3, unless something drastic happens to their characters in the meantime. This means that we will likely see Zendaya as Rue, Hunter Schafer as Jules, Jacob Elordi as Nate, Alexa Demie as Maddy, Barbie Ferreira as Kat, Angus Cloud as Fezco, Sydney Sweeney as Cassie, Algee Smith as McKay, Storm Reid as Gia, and Eric Dane as Cal. We might also see some recurring characters like Colman Domingo as Ali, Rue’s mentor; Maude Apatow as Lexi, Rue’s childhood friend; Nika King as Leslie, Rue’s mother; and Javon Walton as Ashtray, Fezco’s younger brother.
However, Barbie Ferreira is one cast member who won’t be returning for season 3. The actress announced her departure from the show in an emotional message she shared via her Instagram Story in February 2022. “I’m so grateful for this experience and I love you all so much,” she wrote. “Kat has been such a huge part of my life and I’m so happy I got to share her with you. Thank you for everything.” Ferreira did not reveal the reason behind her exit, but we can assume that it has something to do with her character’s arc in season 2.
Euphoria Season 3 Trailer
Production Weekly has suggested plans to start filming in February 2023 are underway. If so, that means everyone will be returning to set almost exactly one year after the season two finale aired. So we don’t expect one to drop anytime soon. Since filming has just started, it might be a while before we glimpse what’s in store for season 3. However, HBO might release some teasers or sneak peeks along the way to keep us interested and excited. In the meantime, you can rewatch the previous seasons and specials on HBO Max or Sky Atlantic.
Euphoria Season 3 Plot
The plot of Euphoria season 3 is still a mystery at this point. Season 2 ended on a cliffhanger, with Rue relapsing after Jules left her at the train station. We don’t know what will happen to Rue after her overdose, or if Jules will come back for her. We also don’t know what will happen to Nate after he had a breakdown at prom and confessed his feelings for Jules to Maddy. Will Maddy expose Nate’s secrets? Will Nate face justice for his crimes? Will he finally accept his sexuality?
There are also many other unresolved issues and questions from season 2 that we hope will be addressed in season 3. Some questions that needs to be answred:
- What will happen to Rue after her relapse in the finale?
- How will Jules cope with leaving Rue behind at the train station?
- Will Cassie go through with her abortion and how will McKay react?
- How will Kat and Ethan’s relationship develop after they confessed their feelings?
- Will Nate face any consequences for his abusive and manipulative behavior?
- How will Fezco deal with the aftermath of robbing the drug dealer?
- Will Lexi get more screen time and a storyline of her own?
- Will we see more of Ali, Rue’s sponsor, and learn about his backstory?
- How will the COVID-19 pandemic affect the lives of the characters?
- Will there be any new characters or guest stars in season 3?
Fans are already speculating about what will happen next for the characters. Here are some possible scenarios for season three:
- Despite their differences and struggles, Rue and Jules will reunite and try to make their relationship work. They will face new challenges as they navigate their senior year of high school and prepare for college.
- Nate (Jacob Elordi) will face the consequences of his violent and manipulative actions, especially after assaulting Maddy (Alexa Demie) and blackmailing Jules. He will also have to confront his own sexuality and identity issues and his abusive father (Eric Dane).
- Cassie (Sydney Sweeney) will deal with the aftermath of her abortion, and her complicated feelings for McKay (Algee Smith) and Daniel (Keean Johnson). She will also pursue her dreams of becoming a figure skater, and find her own voice and confidence.
- Kat (Barbie Ferreira) will continue to explore her sexuality and empowerment through her online persona and camming business. She will also face new challenges in her relationship with Ethan (Austin Abrams), who may not be able to accept her lifestyle choices.
- Fezco (Angus Cloud) will try to protect Rue from her drug addiction, and from the dangerous drug dealer Mouse (Steven Williams). He will also have to deal with his own criminal activities and his relationship with his grandmother (Marsha Gambles).
- Lexi (Maude Apatow) will have a bigger role in season three, as she develops her own storyline and personality. She will also have to deal with her feelings for Rue, who may not reciprocate them.
- Gia (Storm Reid) will have more screen time in season three, as she grows up and becomes more independent from her sister Rue. She will also have to cope with the trauma of witnessing Rue’s overdose and relapse.
New characters will be introduced in season three, who will bring new perspectives and conflicts to the show. They may include new students, teachers, parents or other figures in the characters’ lives.
Euphoria season three will likely be another emotional roller coaster for the fans, who will have to wait until 2024 or later to see it. The show’s creator Sam Levinson has said that he has plans for four or five seasons of Euphoria, so there is still a lot of story to tell.