October Faction is a supernatural drama series based on the comic series of the same name by Steve Niles and Damien Worm. It follows the story of a monster-hunting couple, Fred and Deloris Allen, and their twin teenage children, Geoff and Viv, who discover dark family secrets and the truth about their employer, a secret organization called Presidio. The series premiered on Netflix on January 23, 2020, but was canceled after one season in March 2020. Here is everything we know so far about the possibility of a second season.
October Faction Season 2 Potential Plot: What’s next?
The first season of October Faction ended with a lot of cliffhangers and unanswered questions. The main one being: what happened to Alice Harlow, the murderous warlock who was hunting the Allens and who turned out to be Viv and Geoff’s biological mother? Alice was last seen being dragged into the water by a mysterious creature that Viv had visions of throughout the season. Is Alice alive or dead? And what is the connection between her and the creature?
Another plot point that needs resolution is the fate of Presidio, the organization that Fred and Deloris worked for and that was revealed to be corrupt and evil. Presidio was planning to use a device called the Warlock’s Door to unleash an army of monsters on the world, but their plan was foiled by the Allens and their allies. However, Presidio’s leader, Hannah Mercer, escaped and vowed to continue her mission. Will the Allens be able to stop her and expose Presidio’s true nature?
The third major storyline that could be explored in a second season is the development of Viv and Geoff’s powers and their relationship with their adoptive parents. Viv and Geoff learned that they were born from a union between a warlock and a monster, which gave them unique abilities such as telepathy, telekinesis, pyrokinesis, and necromancy. They also learned that Fred and Deloris lied to them about their origins and killed their biological father. How will they cope with these revelations and how will they use their powers in the future?
October Faction Season 2 Cast: Who’s in it?
If October Faction gets renewed for a second season, we can expect most of the main cast to return, unless their characters were killed off or left the show in some way. The main cast includes:
- Tamara Taylor as Deloris Allen, a supernatural hunter who is part of Presidio
- J.C. MacKenzie as Fred Allen, Deloris’ husband and a fellow Presidio supernatural hunter who came from a family of Presidio supernatural hunters
- Aurora Dawson-Hunte as Viv Allen, Deloris and Fred’s teenage daughter who has warlock and monster powers
- Gabriel Darku as Geoff Allen, Deloris and Fred’s openly gay teenage son who has warlock and monster powers
- Maxim Roy as Alice Harlow, a warlock who is Viv and Geoff’s biological mother and who wants revenge on Presidio
- Stephen McHattie as Samuel Allen, Fred’s father who was also a Presidio supernatural hunter
- Megan Follows as Edith Mooreland, Deloris’ mother who is also a warlock
- Praneet Akilla as Phillip Mishra, Geoff’s love interest who is also a werewolf
- Michelle Nolden as Hannah Mercer, the leader of Presidio who wants to unleash monsters on the world
- Sara Waisglass as Madison St. Claire, Viv’s friend who is also a witch
- Wendy Crewson as Maggie Allen, Fred’s mother who was also a Presidio supernatural hunter
Some of these characters may not return for a second season depending on their fate in the first season or their availability for filming. For example, Samuel Allen was killed by Alice Harlow in the first season finale, so he may only appear in flashbacks or visions if at all. Alice Harlow’s fate is also uncertain after she was dragged into the water by the creature. Additionally, some new characters may be introduced in a second season to expand the story or replace some of the missing ones.
Will there be October Faction Season 2?
Unfortunately for fans of October Faction, Netflix decided to cancel the series after one season in March 2020. The reason for this decision is not clear, but it may have something to do with the ratings, reviews, or budget of the show. Netflix does not release official viewership numbers for its original shows, but according to some third-party sources such as Parrot Analytics, October Faction did not perform well compared to other Netflix shows in terms of demand expressions (a measure of audience interest). The show also received mixed reviews from critics and audiences alike on sites such as Rotten Tomatoes and IMDb, with some praising its diversity, humor, and action, and others criticizing its pacing, writing, and acting.
However, Netflix’s cancellation does not necessarily mean the end of October Faction. The show is based on a comic series that has four volumes and 18 issues, so there is still plenty of source material to adapt for a second season or beyond. The show also has a loyal fan base that has been campaigning for its renewal on social media using hashtags such as #SaveOctoberFaction and #RenewOctoberFaction. Moreover, the show is produced by IDW Entertainment, which also produces other comic-based shows such as Wynonna Earp and Locke & Key. IDW Entertainment has a history of reviving canceled shows or finding new homes for them on other platforms. For example, Wynonna Earp was renewed for a fourth season after a long hiatus due to financial issues, and Locke & Key was picked up by Netflix after being rejected by Hulu. Therefore, there is still a chance that October Faction could be revived by IDW Entertainment or another network or streaming service in the future.
October Faction Season 2 Release Date: Speculation!
Since October Faction has not been officially renewed for a second season yet, there is no official release date for it either. However, if we assume that the show will be revived by IDW Entertainment or another platform in the near future, we can make some educated guesses based on the production schedule of the first season. The first season of October Faction was announced in September 2018 and started filming in March 2019. It took about 10 months to complete filming and post-production, and the show premiered on Netflix in January 2020. Therefore, if a second season follows a similar timeline, it could take about a year or more from the announcement to the release date. This means that the earliest we could expect a second season of October Faction would be sometime in 2022 or later.
Similar Shows Like October Faction
If you are looking for similar shows like October Faction that combine supernatural elements, family drama, and action, you may want to check out these titles:
- The Umbrella Academy: A Netflix original series based on the comic series of the same name by Gerard Way and Gabriel Bá. It follows the dysfunctional family of adopted superhero siblings who reunite to solve the mystery of their father’s death and prevent an impending apocalypse.
- Supernatural: A long-running CW series that follows the adventures of two brothers who hunt demons, ghosts, monsters, and other supernatural beings across America.
- Shadowhunters: A Freeform series based on the book series The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare. It follows the life of Clary Fray, who discovers that she is part of a secret society of human-angel hybrids who protect the world from demons.
- Chilling Adventures of Sabrina: A Netflix original series based on the comic series of the same name by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa and Robert Hack. It follows the dark and twisted adventures of Sabrina Spellman, a half-witch half-human teenager who struggles to balance her dual nature and fight against evil forces.
- Stranger Things: A Netflix original series that pays homage to the sci-fi and horror genres of the 1980s. It follows the mysterious disappearance of a young boy in a small town that is plagued by supernatural events and a secret government experiment.