Marco Polo is a historical drama series that follows the adventures of the young Venetian explorer in the court of Kublai Khan, the ruler of the Mongol Empire and the founder of the Yuan dynasty. The show premiered on Netflix in 2014 and ran for two seasons, each consisting of 10 episodes. The series was created by John Fusco and produced by The Weinstein Company. It featured a cast of international actors, including Lorenzo Richelmy as Marco Polo, Benedict Wong as Kublai Khan, Joan Chen as Empress Chabi, Rick Yune as Kaidu, Remy Hii as Prince Jingim, Zhu Zhu as Princess Kokachin, and Tom Wu as Hundred Eyes.
Marco Polo Season 3 Potential Plot: What’s next?
The second season of Marco Polo ended with a cliffhanger, as Kublai Khan faced a rebellion from his cousin Kaidu, who challenged him for the throne of the Mongol Empire. Marco Polo also discovered that Princess Kokachin, whom he loved, was actually an impostor who had taken the place of the real princess after she died. Meanwhile, Hundred Eyes, the blind monk who trained Marco Polo and Jingim in martial arts, was captured by a mysterious warrior named Lotus.
The third season of Marco Polo could have explored the outcome of the civil war between Kublai Khan and Kaidu, as well as the fate of Hundred Eyes and Lotus. It could have also revealed more about the true identity of Princess Kokachin and her relationship with Marco Polo. Additionally, the third season could have followed Marco Polo’s further travels in Asia, such as his visit to Japan, India, and Persia.
Marco Polo Season 3 Cast: Who’s in it?
If Marco Polo Season 3 had been made, it would have likely brought back most of the main cast members from the previous seasons. Lorenzo Richelmy would have reprised his role as Marco Polo, Benedict Wong as Kublai Khan, Joan Chen as Empress Chabi, Rick Yune as Kaidu, Remy Hii as Prince Jingim, Zhu Zhu as Princess Kokachin, and Tom Wu as Hundred Eyes. Some new characters could have also been introduced, such as Lotus, who was played by Michelle Yeoh in a guest appearance in the second season finale.
- Lorenzo Richelmy as Marco Polo
- Benedict Wong as Kublai Khan
- Joan Chen as Empress Chabi
- Rick Yune as Kaidu
- Remy Hii as Prince Jingim
- Zhu Zhu as Princess Kokachin
- Tom Wu as Hundred Eyes
- Michelle Yeoh as Lotus
Will there be Marco Polo Season 3?
Unfortunately for the fans of the show, Marco Polo Season 3 will not happen. Netflix announced that they had canceled the series after two seasons on December 12, 2016. The decision was reportedly made jointly by Netflix and The Weinstein Company, who suffered a loss of $200 million from the production of the show. The show also received mixed reviews from critics and audiences, who praised its visuals and performances but criticized its pacing and historical accuracy.
Cindy Holland, the vice president of Netflix’s original content, released a statement after the cancellation of Marco Polo Season 3. She said: “We want to thank and are grateful to our partners on Marco Polo from the actors, whose performances were enthralling and top-notch; to the committed producers, including John Fusco, Dan Minahan, Patrick Macmanus, and their crew, who poured their hearts into the series; and of course Harvey [Weinstein], David [Glasser] and our friends at TWC [The Weinstein Company], who were great collaborators from start to finish.”
Marco Polo Season 3 Release Date: Speculation!
Even though Marco Polo Season 3 has been officially canceled by Netflix, some fans still hope that the show might be revived by another network or streaming service. However, this seems very unlikely given the high cost and low ratings of the show. Moreover, some of the cast members have moved on to other projects since then. For example, Benedict Wong has starred in Marvel movies such as Doctor Strange and Avengers: Endgame , while Michelle Yeoh has joined Star Trek: Discovery .
If Marco Polo Season 3 had been renewed by Netflix back in 2016 or 2017, it would have probably premiered in late 2018 or early 2019. However, since that did not happen, there is no official release date for Marco Polo Season 3.
Similar Shows Like Marco Polo
For those who enjoyed watching Marco Polo and are looking for similar shows to watch, here are some suggestions:
- The Last Kingdom: A historical drama series based on Bernard Cornwell’s novels about Uhtred of Bebbanburg, a Saxon warrior who becomes involved in the wars between the Anglo-Saxons and the Vikings in 9th century England. The show is available on Netflix.
- Vikings: A historical drama series inspired by the sagas of Ragnar Lothbrok, a legendary Norse hero who leads his people in raids and battles across Europe. The show is available on Amazon Prime Video.
- The Crown: A historical drama series that chronicles the life and reign of Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom and the history of the British monarchy in the 20th and 21st centuries. The show is available on Netflix.
- Medici: Masters of Florence: A historical drama series that follows the rise and fall of the Medici family, who were influential bankers and patrons of the arts in Renaissance Italy. The show is available on Netflix.
- Da Vinci’s Demons: A historical fantasy series that depicts the early life of Leonardo da Vinci, a genius inventor, artist, and adventurer who uncovers secrets and mysteries in 15th century Italy. The show is available on Starz.