Anne with an E is a popular Netflix original series based on the classic novel Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery. The show follows the adventures of Anne Shirley-Cuthbert, an orphan girl who finds a new home and family in the rural town of Avonlea on Prince Edward Island. The series has won several awards and has a loyal fanbase who call themselves Anne Nation. But will there be a fourth season of Anne with an E? Here’s everything we know so far.
Anne with an E Season 4 Potential Plot: What’s next?
The third and final season of Anne with an E ended with some major cliffhangers and unresolved questions. Anne decided to pursue her dream of becoming a writer and enrolled in Queen’s College, along with her friends Diana, Ruby, and Jane. Gilbert, who realized his true feelings for Anne, proposed to her, but she rejected him, thinking he was in love with someone else. Gilbert then accepted a job offer to work as a doctor in Paris, leaving Anne heartbroken. Meanwhile, Ka’kwet, a young Mi’kmaq girl who befriended Anne, was trapped in a residential school, where she faced abuse and discrimination. Bash and Mary also faced challenges in their marriage, as Bash struggled to adapt to life in Avonlea and Mary longed for her home in Trinidad.
If there was a fourth season of Anne with an E, it would likely explore how Anne and Gilbert cope with their separation and whether they will reunite. It would also show how Anne adjusts to college life and pursues her writing career. Moreover, it would address the fate of Ka’kwet and the other indigenous children in the residential school, as well as the social issues of racism, sexism, and homophobia that the characters face in their time period.
Anne with an E Season 4 Cast: Who’s in it?
The cast of Anne with an E includes:
- Amybeth McNulty as Anne Shirley-Cuthbert
- Geraldine James as Marilla Cuthbert
- R.H. Thomson as Matthew Cuthbert
- Lucas Jade Zumann as Gilbert Blythe
- Dalila Bela as Diana Barry
- Corrine Koslo as Rachel Lynde
- Aymeric Jett Montaz as Jerry Baynard
- Kyla Matthews as Ruby Gillis
- Miranda McKeon as Josie Pye
- Lia Pappas-Kemps as Jane Andrews
- Cory Grüter-Andrew as Cole Mackenzie
- Glenna Walters as Tillie Boulter
- Jacob Ursomarzo as Moody Spurgeon
- Dalmar Abuzeid as Sebastian “Bash” Lacroix
- Joanna Douglas as Miss Muriel Stacy
- Cara Ricketts as Mary Lacroix
- Kiawenti:io Tarbell as Ka’kwet
If there was a fourth season of Anne with an E, most of these actors would likely reprise their roles, unless their characters are written off or recast.
Will there be Anne with an E Season 4?
Unfortunately, Anne with an E Season 4 is not happening. The show was cancelled by Netflix and CBC in 2019, after the release of the third season. The reason for the cancellation was reportedly due to low viewership numbers among the target audience of 25 to 54 year olds. The show’s creator, Moira Walley-Beckett, expressed her disappointment and gratitude in an Instagram post, saying that she had many more stories to tell.
However, the fans of the show have not given up hope. They have launched several campaigns to save the show, such as signing petitions, sending emails, making phone calls, creating hashtags, organizing rallies, and even renting billboards. They have also appealed to other streaming platforms, such as Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, HBO Max, and Apple TV+, to pick up the show for a fourth season. So far, none of these efforts have been successful, but the fans remain optimistic and determined.
Anne with an E Season 4 Release Date: Speculation!
Since there is no official confirmation of Anne with an E Season 4 being renewed or picked up by another network, there is no release date for it either. However, if we were to speculate based on the previous seasons’ release dates, we could estimate that a potential fourth season would come out sometime in late 2023 or early 2024. This is assuming that the production would start in mid-2023 and take about six months to complete.
Similar Shows Like Anne with an E
If you are looking for similar shows like Anne with an E that are set in historical periods and feature strong female protagonists, you might enjoy these titles:
- Little Women: A four-part miniseries adaptation of Louisa May Alcott’s classic novel, following the lives and loves of the four March sisters during the American Civil War.
- When Calls the Heart: A drama series based on Janette Oke’s books, following a young teacher who moves to a small town in the Canadian West and falls in love with a Mountie.
- The Crown: A biographical drama series that chronicles the reign of Queen Elizabeth II and the history of the British monarchy in the 20th and 21st centuries.
- Anne of Green Gables: A 1985 miniseries adaptation of L.M. Montgomery’s novel, starring Megan Follows as Anne Shirley, a spirited orphan who finds a home with the Cuthberts on Prince Edward Island.
- Downton Abbey: A historical drama series that depicts the lives of the aristocratic Crawley family and their servants in the early 20th century.